Children's Stationery & Invitations on 100% Recycled Paper
General_468x60banner

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Homemade Mayo


Today I am going to show you how to make super easy all natural mayo! Cost totals will be at the bottom

What you will need:




















A blender





















Two egg yolks (I use free range eggs)





















1 1/2 cups oil (I use a olive/canola blend)





















around 1t to 1T lemon juice...your preference


Normally I would tell you to use the juice of a real organic lemon but I was not intending on having to make mayo this week so I just used some lemon juice I had in my fridge.

Okay to make your mayo first you want to add the egg yolks to the blender, then turn on blender. At this point you want to SLOWLY, VERY VERY SLOWLY add the oil:






















It will seem like forever but just as you get to the end of the oil you will hear the sound of the oil and yolk go from a water like splattering sound to a paste like splattering sound...music to your ears! Continue adding oil until all gone.

Then add the lemon juice:

















after you add the lemon juice you can turn off your blender and your mayo should look like this:
















Add to an air tight jar and the mayo should store/last in the fridge for about a week.





















Okay the total to make just over 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise:

free range eggs: .25 x 2=.50
Olive Oil: .12 x 12oz= 1.44
Lemon Juice: .59 x 1/2= .29

Grand Total: 2.23

don't forget to check out The Grocery Cart Challenge for other great recipes!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. Hubby loves mayo so now I know I can make it with the food that I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH! Your very first post!!! Welcome to the world of bloggers. I hope you come to enjoy it as much as I do! Good luck with your venture and congrats on post #1!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before my last child was born, I made all of our mayo. It is so much better than store bought! I add a bit of cayenne at the end; gives it a bit of zip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This actually looks REALLY good. By the way, I love that Pampered Chef measuring cup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking just yesterday I should try to make homemade mayonnaise. Thanks for the instructions and inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Latte, for trying to get people to be concerned about what they eat, but should you be recommending the use of canola oil, which is not only not organic, it is not natural.

    ReplyDelete