Children's Stationery & Invitations on 100% Recycled Paper
General_468x60banner

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Southern Grit quick...and yet old fashioned...how do I do it?




Okay I am a true southern girl (my folks would not agree because I have spent more than half my life in Southern MO...and talk too fast) I love LOVE me some southern grits! True to southern form it is actually against the law to make quick grits. And staying true to that form I stick to the law. However while watching this show on Food Network Bobby Flay makes grits quick, easy and does not break any southern laws!

I had to alter the recipe a bit because his goes with shrimp...which also sounds yummy!

What you will need for one serving:

1 Cup water
1/3 Cup stone ground cornmeal (yellow or white)


place the water in a potThen add the gritsStir the grits


turn the eye (burner) onto medium high and cook stirring often until thick (you choose your thickness preference) about 5 minutesServe with salt and butter. Enjoy! Do you have any all natural recipes you want to add to the organic frugal freak blog...PLEASE DO! Just add your recipe blog post (not home page) to Mr. Linky below.

Enjoy! To get other great frugal recipes check out The Grocery Cart Challenge!

6 comments:

  1. Grits is nothing more than cormeal?! I had absolutely no clue!

    Love, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know grits was just cornmeal either! The things we learn from here and there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, is it the same thing as polenta?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am ashamed to say, I have never eaten grits in my life. They actually sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, grits are made from corn, but no they are not polenta. It seems as though the grits are supplemented with corn meal here. If you re read the recipe she adds grits in after she adds the cornmeal. Looks good to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually I only add cornmeal...which are grits. You see there are hominy grits and corn grits. I made corn grits.

    Grits are small broken grains of corn. They were first produced by Native Americans centuries ago. They made both "corn" grits and "hominy" grits.

    ReplyDelete